Hey and welcome again to Equity, TechCrunch’s enterprise capital-focused podcast, the place we unpack the numbers behind the headlines.
Danny and Alex had been on deck this week, with Grace on the recording and edit. Natasha might be again with us beginning subsequent week. So, it was outdated occasions on the present with simply two of our workforce to vamp on the information. And oh boy was there quite a lot of information to get into. Like, masses.
- What’s occurring with Didi? Didi’s woes have continued this week, with the corporate seeing its share value proceed to fall. The Fairness workforce’s view is that the period of Chinese language corporations itemizing in america is over.
- What’s occurring with facial recognition tech? With AnyVision elevating a $235 million spherical, Danny and Alex tangled over the way forward for privateness, and what counts as ok in terms of conserving ourselves to ourselves.
- Nextdoor goes public: By way of a SPAC, thoughts, however the transaction had our tongues wagging about its historical past, progress, and the way arduous it may be to construct a social community.
- Dataminr buys WatchKeeper: In its first-ever acquisition, Dataminr purchased a smaller firm to assist it higher visualize the information it collects. It’s a neat deal, and particularly enjoyable given taht Dataminr ought to go public sooner slightly than later.
- Planet and Satellogic are going public: One week, two satellite tv for pc SPACs. You may learn extra about Planet right here, and Satellogic right here.
- FabricNano and Cloverly increase capital: Satellites had us into the idea of local weather change, so we additionally dug into current funding rounds from FabricNano and Cloverly. It’s past neat to see for-profit corporations deal with our warming planet.
- Two new enterprise capital funds: Acrylic has put collectively a $55 million fund for moonshot crypto work, whereas Renegade Companions has a $100 million fund for early-and-mid-stage generalist investments.
- Mmhmm is large time: After which there was mmhmm. Which now has $100 million extra, and a few large plans. Our query is what it should do with the cash. We’ll have to attend and discover out, we suppose.