We are supported by readers, when you click & purchase through links on our site we earn affiliate commission. Learn more.

Expensive Sophie: How can I carry my mother and father and sister to the US?

Right here’s one other version of “Expensive Sophie,” the recommendation column that solutions immigration-related questions on working at know-how corporations.

“Your questions are important to the unfold of data that permits individuals all around the world to rise above borders and pursue their desires,” says Sophie Alcorn, a Silicon Valley immigration lawyer. “Whether or not you’re in individuals ops, a founder or searching for a job in Silicon Valley, I’d like to answer your questions in my subsequent column.”

Additional Crunch members obtain entry to weekly “Expensive Sophie” columns; use promo code ALCORN to buy a one- or two-year subscription for 50% off.

Expensive Sophie,

My husband and I are each U.S. everlasting residents.

Given what we’ve gone by this previous 12 months being remoted from family members through the pandemic, we’d prefer to carry my mother and father and my sister to the U.S. to be near our household and assist out with our youngsters.

Is that doable?

— Symbiotic in Sunnyvale

Expensive Symbiotic,

Thanks in your query! Sure, it’s doable to carry your mother and father and sister to the USA! Now we have a whole lot of shoppers such as you who want to reunite with their households. My regulation accomplice, Anita Koumriqian, and I mentioned in a podcast episode what U.S. residents and authorized everlasting residents ought to learn about bringing relations to the USA. In that episode, we additionally talk about certificates of citizenship for people who’re U.S. residents born overseas.

As all the time, I recommend you seek the advice of with an skilled immigration lawyer in petitioning for inexperienced playing cards in your mother and father and sister. An immigration lawyer may talk about various immigration choices in your sister.

Picture Credit: Joanna Buniak / Sophie Alcorn (opens in a new window)

Who can I sponsor as a everlasting resident? As a U.S. citizen?

U.S. everlasting residents — or inexperienced card holders — can solely sponsor a partner or single youngsters for a inexperienced card. However when you’ve got lived within the U.S. for not less than 5 years as a inexperienced card holder, you’re eligible to change into a U.S. citizen. U.S. residents who’re not less than 21 years outdated can sponsor a broader listing of relations for inexperienced playing cards: mother and father, spouses, youngsters and stepchildren, brothers and sisters.