Got a new phone and faced an “Instagram Challenge Required” error while login through the app? Well, that’s a common app login error for Instagram users. But what does this error mean, and how can you fix it effectively to log into your Instagram account? If you are new to this error, I have explained everything related to it in this guide with some easy methods to fix it. Let’s begin.
What does “challenge_required” mean on Instagram?
The “Challenge Required” error on Instagram is basically its security feature to identify the user that login to the platform is actually a human and not a robot. It is Instagram’s way to protect your account from unauthorized logins, so there is nothing to worry about.
Whenever you try to log into the Instagram account from the web instead of the app or on the new/unrecognized device, the platform shows Instagram API/Response/LoginResponse: Challenge required error. This error usually occurs when Instagram cannot build a proper security connection between a web server and its own servers. As this error won’t allow you to access your Instagram account, it is crucial to fix it whenever you try to log in via the web or a new device.
So, here are some easy Instagram fix methods for this error.
5 Ways to Fix “Instagram Challenge Required” Error – 100% Working
Method 1: Access Data on Instagram App
It is a strange method but works effectively for many users. Apparently, accessing data on Instagram and letting it load properly solves this “Challenge Required” error. So, here is a step-by-step guide to follow this method:
- Head to your Instagram Profile on the app and click on the three-line menu icon at the top right corner.
- Now click on the “Settings” option under the Menu.
- Scroll down until you find the “Security” option and click on it.
- Now look for the “Access Data” feature and tap on it.
- Now enter your login credentials and wait for the data to load properly. Once loaded, force close the Instagram app and re-open it to fix this error.
Method 2: Change Your Mobile Network to WiFi (and Vice-Versa)
As the “Challenge Required Instagram” error temporarily blocks your IP address to protect your account when you sign in with a new device or web browser, you can fix this error by switching your network.
So, if you are on the Mobile network, switch it to WiFi and vice versa to change your IP address.
If you are an Android user, follow these steps to switch your network:
- Go to your phone’s settings, search for the “Network and Internet” option and tap on the “Internet” option under it.
- There you can see a list of both Mobile networks and WiFi. If you are operating on the mobile network, disable it and enable WiFi and vice versa to fix this error.
If you are an iPhone user, follow these steps to switch your network:
- Swipe up from the bottom of your screen to access “Settings”.
- Tap on the “WiFi” icon to enable it if using mobile data or disable it if already using WiFi.
3. Once you switch your network, force close the Instagram app and re-open to fix the error.
Method 3: Clear Cache of Instagram App
Sometimes, when too many temporary files get stored in the cache memory, you face issues using or launching the app. The same sometimes happens with the Instagram app. So, just clearing the app’s cache sometimes can fix this error. To do so, follow these steps:
- Head to the “Settings” of your phone and search for “Apps and Notifications” there.
- Under the “See all apps” option, search for the Instagram app and tap on it.
- Under the “Storage & Cache” option, tap on “Clear Storage” and “Clear Cache” to delete temporary files.
- Once done, restart your phone and log into the Instagram app. Hopefully, this will fix the challenge required error.
Method 4: Update the Instagram App
Sometimes the “Instagram Challenge Required” error occurs due to some issue in the current build of the APK, and a simple app update can fix this. You can check the new update available for the app on Google Play Store. Follow these steps to update your app:
- Head to the Play Store and Search for the “Instagram” app in the search bar.
- Check if the latest update is available for the app or not. You will see the “Update” button next to the app name if the update is available.
- Click on the “Update” button to install the latest build. Once updated, open the app to fix the error.
Method 5: Uninstall and Reinstall the App
If the app update is not available and the problem still persists, you can uninstall the app and reinstall it after 24-48 hours to solve this bug. This is because the “challenge required” error blocks your IP address for some time. So when you uninstall the app and wait for some time before reinstalling it again, the bug will be automatically lifted.
The platform introduced Instagram Challenge Required error to detect and prevent unauthorized logins via bots. But these days, this error is falsely detecting bots, spam and automation, and thus, you can get this error on your account by mistake even if you haven’t done any such activity. So, in that case, you can try any of the methods mentioned above to fix this error.
As it is a temporary error, it automatically gets lifted after some time, and if you are lucky, it will last only for a few hours. Still, if you face any problem logging into your account, you can connect with the Instagram Help Center or drop your queries in the comments.